REORGANIZING THE COMPOSITION OF THE SUPREME COURT SELECTION AND PROMOTION BOARD.
WHEREAS, pursuant to Civil Service Commission (CSC) Memorandum Circular
No. 18, series" of 1998, the Supreme Court Selection and Promotion
Board was constituted through a Court En Bane Resolution dated June 6,
1989, primarily to screen applicants and to recommend for the approval
of the Chief Justice (and, at present, the Chairmen of the Divisions)
all a'ppointments and promotions of Supreme Court personnel;
WHEREAS, the Board was initially composed of the following:
1. The Clerk of Court - Chairman
2. Chief, OAS - Member
3. Representative, Office of the Chief Justice - Member, 4. Chief of Office where the vacancy occurs
5. President, SCALE - Member
6. President, SCEA -'Member
WHEREAS, on August 21, 2001, Administrative Circular No. 37-2001 A
abolished the Selection and Promotion Board of the Office of the Court
Administrator, expanded the coverage of the Selection and Promotion
Board of the Supreme Court and modified the latter's composition;
WHEREAS, the Board was placed directly under the Office of the Chief
Justice, and its' membership was expanded to include representatives of
the Office of the Court Administrator and the Philippine Judicial
Academy. The Board's composition was then as follows:
Ex-Officio Chairperson - The Chief Justice (who may be represented by the Chief Justice's Staff Head)
C o-Chairperson - Atty. Luzviminda D. Puno
Vice-Chairpersons - Atty. Eden T. Candelaria
- DCA Jose P. Perez
1. Officer-in-Charge, Office of Administrative Services, OCA
2. Representative,. Office of the Court Administrator
3. Atty. Annaliza S. Ty-Capacite
4. A representative of the Chancellor of the Philippine Judicial Academy
5. Representative, Supreme Court Association of Lawyer-Employees, Inc.
6. Representative, Supreme Court Employees Association
7. The Clerks of Court of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Divisions; the Chief
Attorney; the Reporter;
the Bar Confidant; and Chiefs of the JRO, FMBO, MISO, Medical Clinic,
Library and Printing
WHEREAS, in view of the retirement of Chief Justice Hilario G. Davide,
Jr., there is a need to reorganize the composition of the Supreme Court
Selection and Promotion Board;
NOW, THEREFORE, the Supreme Court Selection and Promotion Board is hereby reorganized with the following composition:
Chairperson - Hon. Ma. Luisa D. Villarama
Clerk of Court
Co ~ Chairpersons - Hon. Presbitero J. Velasco, Jr.
- Mr. Joseph Bryan Hilary P. Davide
Chief Justice's Staff Head
Vice - Chairperson - Atty. Eden T. Candelaria
Deputy Clerk of Court & Chief Administrative Officer
1. Atty. Caridad A. Pabello
(OCA Chief of Office, Office of Administrative Services)
2. DCA Christopher O. lock
(Representative, Office of the Court Administrator)
3. Justice Ameurfina A. Melencio-Herrera (Chancellor, PHILJA)
4. Justice Carolina C. Grino-Aquino (Chairperson, MClEO)
5. Representative, Supreme Court Association of lawyer-Employees, Inc.
6. SCEA Representative for Second Level Positions
SCEA Representative for First level Positions
7. The Clerks of Court of the 1 sf, 2nd and 3rd Divisions, the Chief
Attorney, the Reporter,
the Bar Confidant, and Chiefs of the JRO, FMBO, MISC,
Medical Clinic, Library and Printing
8. Atty. Emma C. Matammu
(Office of the Chief Justice)
The incumbent Secretary and Assistant Secretary of the SPB shall remain as such until replaced by the Chairperson.
The first two Members shall participate only when the position involved
is in the Office of the Court Administrator, covered by A.M. No.
The third member (PHILJA representative) shall participate only when the position involved is in the PHILJA.
The fourth member shall participate only when the position involved is in MCLEO.
The SCALE representative shall serve for a period of two (2) years and
shall participate only when the vacancy involves a lawyer's position.
The SCEA representative for first-level positions shall participate
only when the position involved is in the first level; the SCEA
representative for second-level positions shall participate only when
the position involved is in the second level. Both rank-and-file
representatives shall serve for a period of two (2) years.
The seventh member shall participate only when the position involved is under that member's respective office.
This Memorandum Order shall take effect upon its Issuance.
Issued this 19th day of January 2006.
ARTEMIO V. PANGANIBAN
LEONARDO A. QUISUMBING
Chairman, Third Division