§ 1741. — Definitions.
[Laws in effect as of January 24, 2002]
[Document not affected by Public Laws enacted between
January 24, 2002 and December 19, 2002]
TITLE 2--THE CONGRESS
CHAPTER 27--SOUND RECORDING PRESERVATION BY THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
SUBCHAPTER IV--GENERAL PROVISIONS
Sec. 1741. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) The term ``Librarian'' means the Librarian of Congress.
(2) The term ``Board'' means the National Recording Preservation
(3) The term ``sound recording'' has the meaning given such term
in section 101 of title 17.
(4) The term ``publication'' has the meaning given such term in
section 101 of title 17.
(5) The term ``Registry version'' means, with respect to a sound
recording, the version of a recording first published or offered for
mass distribution whether as a publication or a broadcast, or as
complete a version as bona fide preservation and restoration
activities by the Librarian, an archivist other than the Librarian,
or the copyright legal owner can compile in those cases where the
original material has been irretrievably lost or the recording is
(Pub. L. 106-474, title I, Sec. 131, Nov. 9, 2000, 114 Stat. 2090.)